Sunday, January 3, 2010

Before & After: Family Room

BEFORE:
I was very much over the blue after almost two years. It was my attempt at being more lively. Sooooo not me! I'm much more neutral.

The real reason for the redo was the cheap Target rug. While I loved it at first, it's low quality craftsmanship really showed over time. It started to fray and my vacuum cleaner always grabbed one of those strays and got wound up!

So for Christmas we bought a new (higher quality) rug for a great deal.It's new colors were very much my style but didn't go with our blue walls. So we welcomed Behr's Premium Plus Ultra Paint with Primer in Chateau! I LOVE it!

Thanks to the Thrifty Decor Chick for some inexpensive art inspiration!
We bought 3 4'x12' particle board shelves at Lowes...my handy dandy husband cut them into 12"x12" squares...I modge podged some scrap book paper to them and viola! Art for $13 bucks! I even have 4 squares left over for another project!

AFTER:Next on my list is to recover the couch cushions in a rust color and to get a little bookshelf to hold all the boys' books.

5 comments:

  1. I love those squares! I think I might need to do this for my entryway. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is definitely more you! I need to find time to do stuff like this to my little townhouse. One day...

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always, I'm SO impressed. But not at all surprised...I don't think there is anything you can't do! I can't wait to come over and see your new living room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I went and bought some paper and MDF yesterday for the squares. Great minds think alike--I ended up getting the same paper you did! I just noticed. How did you hang your squares on the wall? Did you nail them in or hang brackets? They seem really heavy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am SO glad I visited tonight! We literally JUST got done painting our livingroom and kitchen about 2 hours ago and funny thing: we went fun & bold rather than neutral like it was - just opposite of you! :-) anyway, so now that we went bright and cheery, the wall seems so bare - so we are going to do this art project!! How fun and great-looking! Did you use adhesive on the back of the paper or just modge podge?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. I really do read and appreciate every single one! Have a WONDERFUL day!